Motorhome Servicing Cambridgeshire

 Wilderspin Garage Ltd - Telephone: 01954 230273     18 Oaktree Road, Fen Drayton, Cambridgeshire, CB24 4SS


What Type of Mot Do I Need?

This is an area that confuses many motorhome owners. What is important to know is that motorhomes in the UK are registered as motor caravans with the DVLA and as such need a Class 4 MOT test.
For further Information regarding MOT costs and classification for motorhomes and RVs, please find information on the Gov.UK website.

When Do I Need a Mot Test

Most motorhomes require a Mot test once the vehicle is 3 years old. This is usually a Class IV test.  If you use your vehicle for carrying any goods then the vehicle is subject to different legislation and is probably due a MOT after one year.

Wilderspin Garage have 5 large purpose built bays able to offer a mot and full service or just a pre mot Inspection to minimise the disappointment of any future MOT failure.

Some of the items checked during an Mot


Headlights and indicators:

If the these lights fail to work during the test then your vehicle will fail the MOT test. Likewise, if the headlight are misaligned then they will also fail.

Brake Lights:

If your brake lights to work while you press the brake pedal then your vehicle will fail an MOT test. This includes the brake light strip at the top of modern vehicles.

Number plate:

Front and rear number plates must be clear and visible. Number plate lights must be working. Customised number plates must meet the font and spacing MOT legal requirements.

We will always keep you informed on the progress of your vehicle as we complete the necessary work.


Wheels & tyres:

Wheels and tyres must be undamaged. The minimum tread depth is 1.6mm – anything less is a MOT test fail.

Seats & seatbelts:

The driver’s seat should be adjust forwards and backwards and all seatbelts should be in good working order.


Any chips, cracks or damage to the windscreen that is larger than 40mm will result in a fail. Also, any damage larger than 10mm in the “swept” area in front of the driver will result in a fail.

Windscreen wipers:

Wipers must be clean and free from any erosion or damage. Any tears or holes in the rubber will result in a fail.


If it doesn’t work it will result in a failure.

Fuel and engine oil:

Make sure your car has enough oil and fuel. These are needed to test emissions and you can be turned away by the MOT testing centre if they are low.